Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Stress-Free Life?

Thursday, Sep. 6, 2012

Not A Bad Way To Live
One Minute Daily Devotions
www.rightfromtheheart.org

“...And your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.” - Ephesians 6:15

People today live such high pressure-filled lives and it’s taking its toll. Dr. Joel Elkes says, “Our mode of life - the way we live - is emerging as today’s main cause of illness.” The American Academy of Family Physicians says that two-thirds of all visits to doctors are stress related, and that stress is now known as the major contributor to heart disease, cancer, accidental injuries, and suicide.”

People attend stress seminars and devour books on stress. Sometimes they find that just focusing on it makes them more uptight. But, let’s face it - stress and pressure are a part of life.

Even Jesus Christ promised us that we’ll all face it. He said, “In this world you’ll face much tribulation.” Tribulation also means pressure. He goes on to say, “...but take heart. I have overcome the world.” Jesus does not promise us freedom from pressure, but He does promise us peace amidst the stress. Inner peace is a by-product of knowing Christ as Savior and Lord. The good news is, it’s available to all who trust in Him.

Yes, pressure is a part of life, but Christ gives us peace amidst the pressure. And I can tell you from experience, that's not a bad way to live!

My Thoughts

Last Sunday, our discipleship group focused on Matthew 6:30-34. In summary, these bible verses tell us that it is a sin to worry.  Our faith should have taught us that God takes care of the people who "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness".  Our focus should be on God and we, therefore, should not get worked up about the things of this world.

Easier said than done.  But it can be done.

When we were asked what worries us, I searched and searched my heart for the answer.  Like everyone else, I have concerns, I have problems.  But miracle of miracles, why is it that I am not worried? Why is it that, my life these days seem to be free of stress?  Why do I feel so peaceful and so calm amidst all the worldly concerns?

God has taken me to places where I've never been - places where only He can do something about.  He has been true to His promise that He will take care of me and I have learned (and still learning) to let go of the wheel and let God take over.  Finally, I have let God drive and allowed myself to be His passenger. His plans, His ways are indeed far, far better than mine.

I used to live a life full of stress - always worried about something.  Worry made my life stressful.  And stress made me miserable.  God helped me realize there is a better way to live - with Him.  In His presence, I am finding peace.  Peace that is sometimes hard to explain.  But who wants to understand peace?  I am happy I have it.  And I intend to hold on to this peace.  With God as my Driver, I do not even have to worry about getting lost.  And this, most certainly is a new way to live.


No comments:

Post a Comment